Did you ever have a conversation with a sales person trying to sell you something but using some stupid logic to qualify why you should buy it? Or watch a commercial advertising a product or service that you couldn’t see anyone buying or using? Or perhaps you watched a news broadcast telling you one of the government agencies just changed its mind 180 degrees on a health care issue that originally was considered significant? Somethings just don’t make any sense.
There is no doubt that with todays digital technology you can create a story that seems plausible and is supported by some facts but is, in truth, a well developed fabrication. This is a process that is being used to sell everything including selling you on what your local, state or federal politician is doing….or not doing…or going to do.
In the area of indoor air filtration systems or air purifiers as they are normally called, there is a lot mis-direction being used to sell you on the effectiveness and efficiency of these systems. Often times the company will use visual displays and tools to show the effectiveness of a filter to remove large amounts of airborne dirt, dust and allergens. The fact is that even the most ineffective filtration device does well on large particles you can see with the naked eye.
Particles that range in size from20 microns and up are visual with the naked eye but only constitute about 5% of all the particles in the air. The particles that are in the non-visible range or sub micron range constitute the other 95% of the airborne particles. And these larger particles are more easily aspirated in and out of your lungs. It is the finer, less than 10 mcirons in size particles that will stay logged in the lung linings and mucus membranes.
The difficulty in showing this capture capability of these smaller particles is that it can’t be easily done without using some sophisticated and expensive equipment. Yet, for people that have severe allergies or respiratory issues the purchase of a filtration device that is not at least HEPA quality or equivalent is a waste of money.
It is interesting to note, that the filter devices and air purifiers you see on the infomercials are normally the least effective systems while few HEPA systems are ever advertised. Again, the HEPA filters work on the large and sub micron particles which are not visible. The ones “as seen on TV’ that use the visual component as their main selling tool are most often sold through the infomercial approach.
Pure Air Systems has been making HEPA and Carbon based air filtration systems since 1985. For more information on their complete product line please go to their website at : www.pureairsystems.com